Selectmen Present: Suzan Rudnicki, John Luce, Douglas Small and Earlyn Bowers
Absent: Joshua Devlin
Town Manager: James Collins
Recording Secretary: Coreen Sylvester
Guests Present: Code Enforcement Officer Stewart Brooks, Toby Pelletier, Glennis McSorley and Julia Pike
7:30 PM: Suzan Rudnicki called the meeting to order.
MINUTES: John Luce made a motion to accept the minutes of April 14, 2008 as
amended. Earlyn Bowers seconded. Four voted in favor.
ROAD COMMISSIONER/TAX COLLECTOR/TOWN MANAGER REPORT:
1. Town Manager Jim Collins told the Board there is a reminder in the Maine Townsman regarding the right-to-know training requirement for elected municipal officials. Jim stated officials can either do the requirement online or attend Maine Municipal Association training. Jim stated he sent copies of the Townsman article to each member of the Budget Committee.
2. Jim Collins stated that Buster Thibodeau has done the grading on the dirt roads in town.
3. Jim stated the road postings were taken down as of last Friday.
4. Jim Collins stated he has a call in to the lady who is interested in the animal control officer position to invite her to a meeting, but has not had a response from her yet.
5. The Town Manager said someone from Time Warner Cable dropped off the cable tv maps for Carmel, but he still wants to look at Horseback Road, Spratt Road, South View Drive and Ash Hill Road with them.
April 28, 2008
Old State Road Trash: John Luce asked if there was anything new with the Old State Road
trash. Jim stated he had looked at it last week and there were a few loose things there, but it wasn’t as bad as earlier and no complaints have been received.
CODE ENFORCEMENT OFFICER’S REPORT: Stewart Brooks gave the Board an update
on junkyards. Stewart stated he has concerns with Steve Dunham’s as it has gotten worse and with Wendell Scott’s as he has neglected to put stuff where it belongs.
Stewart stated that Carmel will be involved in the new State-wide building code because its population is greater than 2000.
Review Ash Hill Road Project Specifications: The Town Manager and the Selectmen
discussed the proposed Ash Hill Road project specifications. After discussion, John Luce made a motion to allow the Town Manager to bid out the Ash Hill roadwork per the bid specs as just revised. Earlyn Bowers seconded. Four voted in favor.
Carmel Days Appointments: Julia Pike explained that she had called Maine Municipal
Association (MMA) regarding the additional people recently appointed to the Carmel Days Committee. Julia stated she was told that in order to be covered by the Town’s insurance, people who are working on Carmel Days and are not in the Historical Society have to be appointed separately. (The Historical Society was appointed as the Carmel Days Committee at an earlier meeting.) Douglas Small asked Julia to have that put in writing for the Board.
“Paper Talk” Ad: Julia told the Board that a man from “Paper Talk” magazine had been in and
left paperwork for Selectmen in case they are interested in sponsoring an ad for veterans. After discussion Selectmen decided to make a donation for an ad out of their own pockets since the Town does not have funds available for donations. Julia Pike stated she would ask the American Legion if they would be interested in placing an ad. Selectmen decided they would contribute with the American Legion if they place an ad.
Treasurer’s Report: The Town Manager gave the treasurer’s report as of April 25, 2008.
Town Office Hedge: Suzan Rudnicki asked permission to pull the old hedges out from the front
of the municipal office building and replace them with something new. The rest of the Board had no objection.
April 28, 2008
WARRANT: John Luce made a motion to accept the payroll warrant of April 22, 2008
in the amount of $2,961.74. Earlyn Bowers seconded. Four voted in favor.
WARRANT: John Luce made a motion to accept the payroll warrant of April 28, 2008
in the amount of $3,374.96. Earlyn Bowers seconded. Four voted in favor.
WARRANT: John Luce made a motion to accept the accounts payable warrant of
April 28, 2008 in the amount of $117,020.90. Earlyn Bowers seconded. Four voted in favor.
ADJOURNMENT: John Luce made a motion to adjourn. Earlyn Bowers seconded.
Four voted in favor. Meeting adjourned at 8:35 pm.