Selectmen Present: Suzan Rudnicki, Douglas Small, John Luce and Earlyn Bowers
Absent: Joshua Devlin
Town Manager: Tom Richmond
Recording Secretary: Coreen Sylvester
Guests Present: Robert C. Noyes of R&R Lumber Co., John and Jennifer Work of F.C. Work & Sons Inc., Glennis McSorley and Toby Pelletier
7:30 PM: Suzan Rudnicki called the meeting to order.
MINUTES: Sue Rudnicki made a motion to accept the minutes of April 9, 2012 as written. John Luce seconded. Three voted in favor. Earlyn Bowers abstained as he was not present for that meeting. Sue Rudnicki made a motion to accept the minutes of April 30, 2012 as written. John Luce seconded. Three voted in favor. Sue Rudnicki abstained as she was not present for that meeting. Voting on the minutes of April 23 and May 14, 2012 was tabled until next meeting because there were not enough members present who attended those meetings.
Award Construction Bids: Town Manager Tom Richmond gave the Board a copy of the results of gradation testing for gravel from F.C. Work, R&R Lumber and Buzzy LaChance. Tom read the results and said F.C. Work & Sons’ gravel was the only one who passed all the gradation tests. After discussion, Suzan Rudnicki made a motion to award the bid to F.C. Work & Sons. John Luce seconded. Four voted in favor.
ROAD COMMISSIONER/TAX COLLECTOR/TOWN MANAGER REPORT:
- Tom said Gilbert Reed had been in regarding his and Andre Plante’s entrance to Beatrice Lane off the Horseback Road that was washing out because of the lack of proper ditching. Tom stated the public works crew has been removing the berms to allow the water to drain properly.
- There was discussion about the new bridge on Route 2 because Marice Dunton had been in to explain that the height of the new bridge prevents her from seeing traffic when she turns onto Route 2. Tom stated that he gave Marice the number for the Department of Transportation, and they are supposed to meet with her tomorrow.
- Tom said B&B Paving would prefer to come out and do Ash Hill Road, Old State Road and the Town Office parking lot all in the same time period, and then come back in July to do the rest of the paving.
- The Town Manager said the fund balance looks good. There should be plenty of operating cash until tax bills go out at the end of June, and most of the road construction and paving will start after July 4th and be done within ten days.
- Tom advised the Board the crew had cut the pavement on a number of culverts and will be repaving them next week to remove the speed bumps.
- Tom stated the cost to rent a skid steer is $110.00 per day or $1,200.00 per month, so he has rented it for a month to clean berms off the sides of the roadways.
- There was discussion on the draft of the school budget, with Carmel’s share being $60,000.00 less than last year. Tom said we are getting ready to set the tax commitment, and the estimated mil rate is $13.65 per thousand.
- Doug Small asked if Aaron has been in to say when they’re going to replace the panels at the gazebo, and Tom said he hasn’t. Doug offered to do the repairs tomorrow just for the cost of expenses, and the Board accepted his offer. Tom said he asked the security company if there is a way to put a security camera at the gazebo, and was told they could do it and send the video feed to the town office via the internet.
- Suzan Rudnicki said the emergency phone on the outside of the fire station should be lower so that it would be handicap accessible. Tom said the security company placed it in the standard position. No action taken.
WARRANT: John Luce made a motion to accept the payroll warrant of May 21, 2012 in the amount of $3,979.63. Earlyn Bowers seconded. Four voted in favor.
WARRANT: John Luce made a motion to accept the accounts payable warrant of May 21, 2012 in the amount of $10,651.01. Earlyn Bowers seconded. Four voted in favor.
ADJOURNMENT: Sue Rudnicki made a motion to adjourn. Earlyn Bowers seconded. Four voted in favor. Meeting adjourned at 8:40 pm.