Selectmen Present: Joshua Devlin, Suzan Rudnicki, Doug Small and Earlyn Bowers
Absent: John Luce
Town Manager: Tom Richmond
Recording Secretary: Coreen Sylvester
Guests Present: Vivian Axmacher, Donna Stanhope and Michelle Hicks
7:30 PM: Joshua Devlin called the meeting to order.
MINUTES: Suzan Rudnicki made a motion to accept the minutes of November 8, 2010 as
amended. Douglas Small seconded. Three voted in favor. Earlyn Bowers abstained.
ROAD COMMISSIONER/TAX COLLECTOR/TOWN MANAGER REPORT:
1. Tom Richmond stated he is meeting with the Budget Committee tomorrow night.
2. Tom said Representative David Richardson had met with the Commissioner of the Department of Transportation, David Cole, and Tom is hoping to meet with Mr. Cole this Friday.
3. The Town Manager included a copy of the State’s valuation report in this week’s packet, and explained that the State has Carmel at $162,450,000.00 and the Town’s 2010 value for tax commitment was $165,288,100.00.
4. Tom said there will be a Comprehensive Plan meeting next week, so there will not be a Selectmen’s meeting. Doug Small stated the question had come up at a Comprehensive Plan meeting asking whether the town still owns the old town hall property on Hampden Road, and said it was sold to Nettie Newcomb in 1998.
5. Tom said that the Municipal Review Committee is asking for votes to elect a member to serve on the committee. After discussion, voting was tabled so Selectmen could get more information on the candidates.
6. Tom pointed out the Recreation Committee’s financial reports and check reconciliation in the packet, and said he is impressed with it because in the past we had not been able to get information on their checking account.
Vivian Axmacher (Animal Control): Vivian Axmacher stated she has been told by Martha
Parlee, who works at the Village Store in Etna, that Earlyn Bowers and Suzan Rudnicki
have been discussing Vivian with her, and that she (Ms. Parlee) had been to the town and talked to Carmel Selectmen. After a discussion it was determined that no one from the town had talked to Ms Parlee about Vivian.
Route 2 Bridge Repair: Tom Richmond stated that the State’s right-of-way is 124 feet and
owns more than what was thought to be part of the salt shed lot. However, CMP Constructors would like to use some of the towns land to store material to be screened and would be willing to pay the town $1,000.00 and screen out the towns pile of ditching material.
Mobile Home on Route 2: The Town Manager said that Stewart Brooks had spoken to Richard
Batchelder regarding the mobile home that is illegally on his property and told him he would be fined $100 per day until it is moved. Doug Small stated the mobile home is gone.
Corner of Damascus Road/Route 2: Tom said he is going to find out if the Town owns the
land at the corner of Damascus Road and Route 2, and if it does he plans to put up guardrail to keep the area free for school buses to turn around. Doug Small suggested that rather than put up barricades, we should try negotiating with the garage owner to keep anyone from parking there if the state/town owns it.
WARRANT: Suzan Rudnicki made a motion to accept the payroll warrant of
November 15, 2010 in the amount of $3,611.36. Earlyn Bowers seconded. Four voted in favor.
WARRANT: Suzan Rudnicki made a motion to accept the accounts payable warrant of
November 16, 2010 in the amount of $128,468.75. Earlyn Bowers seconded. Four voted in favor.
Halloween Party: Donna Stanhope gave a report on this year’s Halloween party , and said
approximately one hundred children attended this year. Because Donna ended
up using some of her own money for the party, there was discussion regarding the possibility of having fundraisers next year to help with the cost. Donna said she was okay with the extra money, she had forgotten the funded amount was $400.00.
EXECUTIVE SESSION: Josh Devlin made a motion to go into executive session pursuant to
1MRSA §405(6)(A) to discuss a personnel matter. Earlyn Bowers seconded. Four voted in favor. Selectmen went into executive session at 8:22 pm. Selectmen reconvened in regular session at 8:29 pm. No action taken.
Request to Purchase Winter Sand: Tom said the gentleman who is going to be plowing the
Carmel Bible Conference Campground road asked if he would be allowed to purchase his sand from the Town this winter. Selectmen decided the Town shouldn’t get into selling its sand because if we sell to one person, others may expect to be able to do it and the Town could end up running out of sand.
ADJOURNMENT: Suzan Rudnicki made a motion to adjourn. Earlyn Bowers seconded.
Four voted in favor. Meeting adjourned at 8:31 pm.